Associate Professor, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Hanover, NH
Department of Gastroenterology, VAMC White River Junction, VT
Department of Gastroenterology, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH
My research interests evolve around clinical practice of endoscopy. The question “Does it make sense what we are doing?” and “How can we do things better?” are the main driving forces behind the research questions. Projects include clinical studies on colonoscopy with attention to polyp detection and resection, and on upper endoscopy with emphasis on Barrett screening and surveillance. Broader view projects use population based data to examine esophageal adenocarcinoma incidence (SEER database) and utilization of upper endoscopy in the Medicare population. A current project aims at examining whether exposure to colonoscopy and intensity of colonoscopy use at VA medical centers are associated with a reduction in colorectal cancer mortality.
- Pohl H, Finlayson SR, Sonnenberg A, Robertson DJ. Helicobacter pylori-associated ulcer bleeding: should we test for eradication after treatment? Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005;22:529-537.
- Pohl H, Welch HG. The role of overdiagnosis and reclassification in the marked increase of esophageal adenocarcinoma incidence. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005;97:142-146.
- Pohl H, Koch M., Khalifa A, Papanikolaou IS, Scheiner K, Wiedenmann B, Roesch T. Evaluation of Endocytoscopy in the Surveillance of Patients with Barrett´s Esophagus. Endoscopy. 2007 Jun;39(6):492-6.
- H. Pohl, J. Aschenbeck, R. Drossel, A. Schröder, M. Mayr, M Koch, K. Rothe, M. Anders, W. Voderholzer, J. Hoffmann, H.-J. Schulz, R.-M. Liehr, . Gottschalk, B. Wiedenmann, T. Rösch. Endoscopy in Barrett´s Esophagus: Adherence to Standards and Neoplasia Detection in the Community Practice versus Hospital Setting. J Intern Med. 2008 Oct;264(4):370-8.
- Pohl H, Roesch T, Vieth M, Koch M, Becker V, Anders M, Khalifa A, Meining A.Miniprobe confocal laser microscopy for the detection of invisible neoplasia in patients with Barrett’s esophagus. Gut. 2008 Dec;57(12):1648-53.
- Pohl H, Sonnenberg A, Strobel S, Eckardt A, Rösch T. Endoscopic versus surgical therapy for early cancer in Barrett’s esophagus: a decision analysis. Gastrointest Endosc. 2009 Oct;70(4):623-31.
- Pohl H, Rösch T, Tanczos BT, Rudolph B, Schlüns K, Baumgart DC. Endocytoscopy for the detection of microstructural features in adult patients with celiac sprue: a prospective, blinded endocytoscopy-conventional histology correlation study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2009 Nov;70(5):933-41
- Pohl H, Sirovich B, Welch HG. Esophageal adenocarcinoma incidence: are we reaching the peak? Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Jun;19(6):1468-70.
- Pohl H , Robertson DJ. Colorectal cancers detected after colonoscopy frequently result from missed lesions. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;8(10):858-64
Education and Training
|Medical School||Humboldt University, Charite School of Medicine, Berlin||1987-1995|
|Residency||DHMC, Lebanon; VA White River||1998-2001|
|Fellowship||Gastroenterology DHMC, Lebanon;
VA White River Junction
|Fellowship||VA Outcomes Group, VA White River Junction||2003-2004|