Assistant Professor of Medicine and Community & Family Medicine, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Hospitalist, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction Vermont
Assistant Professor & Course Director, The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice
Dr. Larson’s research interests include exploring health messages such as advertising by academic medical centers and celebrity endorsements of cancer screening, as well as pursuing answers to questions she encounters in her clinical work, such as whether aspirin should be continued in patients started on warfarin, and the efficacy and safety of tight glucose control in critically ill patients. She also enjoys mentoring master’s students, medical students, residents, fellows and colleagues in their research projects. Her roles range from helping with the design and conduct of primary studies, to helping analyze and write up the findings of completed studies, to performing and writing up systematic reviews and meta-analyses for publication.
- Reed V, Schifferdecker K, Rezaee M, O’Connor S, Larson RJ. The effect of computers in educational and support interventions for overweight and obese adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. J Gen Int Med. 2012 Jan; 27(1):99-108 Epub 2011 Jul 30.
- Sheth S, Larson RJ The efficacy and safety of insulin-sensitizing drugs in HIV-associated lipodystrophy syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. BMC Infectious Diseases; 2010,10:183.
- Woloshin S, Schwartz LM, Cassella SL, Kennedy AT, Larson, RJ. Press releases by academic medical centers: not so academic? Annals of Internal Medicine 2009 May 5;150(9):613-8
- Wiener R, Wiener D, Larson RJ. Benefits and risks of tight glucose control in critically ill adults: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2008; 300(8):933-44.
- Larson RJ, Woloshin S, Schwartz LM, Welch HG. Celebrity endorsements of cancer screening. Journal National Cancer Institute. 2005;97:693-5.
- Larson RJ, Schwartz LM, Woloshin S, Welch HG. Advertising by academic medical centers. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2005;165:645-51.
- Larson RJ, Fisher ES. Should aspirin be continued in patients started on warfarin? A meta-analysis. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2004;19:879-86.
Education and Training
– Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland OR, MD 1994-1998
– Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon NH, Internal Medicine Residency 1998-2001
– VA Outcomes Group, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction VT, Outcome Research Fellowship, 2001-2004
– The Center for the Evaluative Clinical Sciences at Dartmouth, Hanover, NH, MPH 2001-2004