Associate Professor of Surgery and of The Dartmouth Institute
Chief, Otolaryngology at Veterans Administration, White River Jct., VT
Senior Physician Scholar – White River Junction VA National Quality Scholars Program
Dr. Davies is an otolaryngologist – head & neck surgeon – whose research focus is helping patients and physicians make good decisions for their cancer care by providing clear data in useful formats at the correct time and place. Her publications focus on cancer epidemiology and treatment decision making. She has expertise in the use of SEER (The Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results program maintained by the National Cancer Institute), and the use of mixed methods approaches to health services and quality improvement research questions, particularly qualitative methods. When not doing research, Dr. Davies cares for veterans with head and neck cancer and general otolaryngology problems.
- Barnes, JA., Davies, L. Reading Grade Level and Completeness of Freely Available Materials on Thyroid Nodules: There is Work to Be Done. Thyroid 2014 (Nov 10) Epub ahead of print PMID 25384093.
- Ogrinc G, Ercolano E, Cohen ES, Harwood B, Baum K, van Aalst R, Jones AC, Davies L. Educational System Factors that engage resident Physicians in an Integrated Quality Improvmenet Curriculum at a VA Hospital: a Realist Evaluation. Academic Medicine. 2014 Jun 20 (epub ahead of print) PMID 24979284.
- Davies, L. Welch., H.G. Current trends in thyroid cancer in the U.S.: 1975-2009. JAMA – Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. 2014 Apr;140(4):317-22. PMID 24557566.
- Thomas, B, Stedman M, Davies, L. Grade as a prognostic factor in oral squamous cell carcinoma a population based analysis of the data. The Laryngoscope. 2014 Mar;124(3):688-94 PMID 23945976.
- Morris, L. Sikora, A., Tosteson, T., Davies, L. The increasing incidence of thyroid cancer: the influence of access to care. Thyroid. July 2013; 23(7): 885-91.
- Goldman JL, Baugh RF, Davies L, Skinner ML, Stachler RJ, Brereton J, Eisenberg LD, Roberson DW, Brenner MJ. Mortality and major morbidity after tonsillectomy: Etiologic Factors and Strategies for Prevention. The Laryngoscope. 2013 Apr 17.
- Davies L, Welch HG. Epidemiology of head and neck cancer in the United States. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2006;135:451-457.
- Davies L, Welch HG. Increasing incidence of thyroid cancer in the United States, 1973-2002. JAMA 2006;295:2164-2167.
- Davies, L., Welch, H.G. Thyroid cancer survival in the United States: observational data from 1973-2005. Archives of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. May, 2010.
- Davies, L., Ouellette, M., Hunter M., Welch, H.G. The increasing incidence of thyroid cancer – where are all the cases coming from? The Laryngoscope. December, 2010.
- Davies, L., Grossman, D., Rhodes, LA, Rosenberg, MC, Stevens, DP. A model for high stakes decisions in head & neck cancer care. Triological Society Candidates Thesis. The Laryngoscope. December, 2010.
Education and Training
|Medical School||University of Washington School of Medicine||1994-1988|
|Residency||University of Vermont||1998-2003|
|Fellowship||Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program
Masters of Science in Health Services Research and Health Policy
University of Washington School of Medicine and the VA Puget Sound