Alexander J. Kallen, MD, MPH, is a medical epidemiologist and outbreak response coordinator in the Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Dr. Kallen is also a volunteer attending physician in both the HIV clinic and infectious disease inpatient service at the Atlanta Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center. He has been with CDC since 2006, when he began serving as an Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) Officer. Dr. Kallen has published a plethora of peer-reviewed publications and abstracts on various topics including healthcare-associated invasive MRSA infections, multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacilli, infection prevention among hemodialysis patients, and the prevention of bloodstream infections. He is a journal reviewer for many journals including the Annals of Internal Medicine, Emerging Infectious Diseases, and the American Journal of Kidney Disease. Dr. Kallen is a member of the guideline committee for the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA).
- Kallen AJ, Wilson CT, Russell MA, Larson RJ, Davies L, Sirovich BE, Schwartz LM, Woloshin S, Welch HG. Group writing of letters to the editor as the goal of journal club. JAMA. 2006 Sep 6;296(9):1053-4.
- Kallen AJ, Shu JA, Juhl EL, Woloshin S, Schwartz LM. Direct-to-consumer advertisements for HIV antiretroviral medications: A progress report. Health Affairs 2007 26:1392-1398
- Blossom DB, Kallen AJ, Patel PR, Elward A, Robinson L, Gao G, Langer R, Perkins KM, Jaeger JL, Kurkjian KM, Jones M, Schillie SF, Shehab N, Ketterer D, Venkataraman G, Kishimoto TK, Shriver Z, McMahon AW, Austen KF, Kozlowski S, Srinivasan A, Turabelidze G, Gould CV, Arduino MJ, Sasisekharan R. Outbreak of adverse reactions associated with contaminated heparin. N Engl J Med. 2008 Dec 18;359(25):2674-84.
- Kallen AJ, Mu Y, Bulens S, Reingold A, Petit S, Gershman K, Ray SM, Harrison LH, Lynfield R, Dumyati G, Townes JM, Schaffner W, Patel PR, Fridkin SK; Active Bacterial Core surveillance (ABCs) MRSA Investigators of the Emerging Infections Program. Health care-associated invasive MRSA infections, 2005-2008. JAMA. 2010 Aug 11;304(6):641-8.
- Kallen AJ, Beekmann SE, Limbago B, Lentnek AL, Polgreen PM, Patel J, Srinivasan A. Prevalence of beta-lactam nonsusceptible Gram-negative bacilli and use and interpretation of current susceptibility breakpoints: a survey of infectious disease physicians.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2011 Nov;71(3):316-9. Epub 2011 Sep 6.
- Kallen AJ, Wilson CT, Larson RJ. Kallen AJ, Patel PR, Hess S. Intolerance of chlorhexidine as a skin antiseptic in patients undergoing hemodialysis. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011 Nov;32(11):1144-6.
Education and Training
White River Junction VA, VT